Calling all Filmmakers
The City of Edinburg and Edinburg Arts, in an effort to promote the visual arts and the growing Film industry in the Rio Grande Valley has developed an annual selective film festival, the South Texas International Film Festival.
The STXIFF is an annual event that strives to showcase the work of visionary filmmakers from all over the world. Based in Edinburg, Texas, STXIFF showcases local, regional, and international films that have a unique voice and style. We strive to bring together local filmmakers and artists to help connect the South Texas Film industry with the world.
2018 STXIFF Submission Guidelines
This year, the Festival will run from September 5th through September 8th of 2018 for its fourth edition. The submission guidelines for the 2018 South Texas International Film Festival (henceforth also referred to as “The Festival” and “STXIFF”) are as follows:
- Call for entry for the 2018 STXIFF will open on December 4th, 2017. Submissions close at 11:59 PM on June 8th, 2018. Deadlines will have four different final dates:
- Early Bird Entry: December 4th, 2017 – February 2nd, 2018
- Regular Entry: February 3rd, 2018 – April 30th, 2018
- Late Entry: May 1st, 2018 – May 25th, 2018
- Extended Deadline: May 26th, 2018 – June 8th, 2018
- All genres and sub-genres are accepted. All film content will be reviewed for consideration as per the discretion of the Selection Committee and the Board Members.
- Feature films must be between sixty (60) minutes and one-hundred and twenty (120) minutes in length, including credits. Short films must be between two (2) minutes and thirty (30) minutes, including credits. DISCLAIMER: films will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis but might not be selected if they fail to meet these requirements.
- In order to be eligible for competition, films must have been completed no earlier than January 1st, 2016. Films completed before this date, will not be selected for competition but may be selected for a showcase.
- The competing film must be a Rio Grande Valley premiere and must not be freely available online or physically. If the film has been publicly screened elsewhere in the area, it will not be considered for competition. You may have your film online but private (i.e. password or private link). This excludes Student Films.
- Film submissions will be admitted only through Film Freeway or Withoutabox.
- Minimum format requirements are H264 .mov files.
- Films which do not have English as their original language, must have English subtitles included in the film screener and final projection file.
- Works in progress will not be accepted this year.
- Hereon, the term “Regional” will refer to the Texas Southern regions and is defined by all counties from Bexar to Cameron and Hidalgo counties (from North to South), and includes from El Paso to Brownsville, West to East.
- Each of the following categories can be either in documentary or narrative format. This year we are accepting animation for any category and format. If either of the categories fail to meet a quota of entries which the STXIFF Board Members consider is too low, then said category will be eliminated from competition. These are the competition categories for the 2018 STXIFF:
- International Short
- International Feature
- National Short
- National Feature
- Regional Short
- Regional Feature
- These are the prizes that will be awarded this year at the 2018 STXIFF.
- Best International Feature
- Best National Feature
- Best Regional Feature
- Best International Short
- Best National Short
- Best Regional Short
- Best Regional Actor
- Best Regional Actress
- Filmmakers may also submit to be selected for non-competitive showcases. These films may have been completed in any previous year, can be feature or short, narrative or documentary, animated and do not require a Rio Grande Valley premiere:
- Horror, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Showcase
- Faith-based Showcase
- Regional Female Filmmakers Showcase
- The person submitting must have been either the director, producer, writer and/or director of photography of the film.
- UTRGV Showcase
- STXIFF Open Showcase
- A Jury conformed by industry professionals will determine the winners of each category previous to the start of the Festival. The decisions will be final and unappeal-able and will be announced during the Award Ceremony on September 8th, 2018.
- Volunteers, staff and employees of the STXIFF, Dustin Sekula Memorial Library, City of Edinburg or Edinburg Arts Foundation may not participate in any of the films which compete for an award. This includes but is not limited to: actress, actor, director, writer, producer, or any other member of the production team of the film. If the producer and/or director wishes to appeal a crew member’s conflict of interest, they may do so by contacting the STXIFF staff no later than May 4th, 2018. The STXIFF Board Members will review the appeal and give a response no later than May 25th, 2018.
- By submitting your film, you grant permission for the Festival to use up to thirty (30) seconds of your material for Festival promotional material, in case your film is selected. The trailer of the film is also required for additional marketing purposes.
- Any other situation not considered in these submission guidelines will be reviewed by the South Texas International Film Festival Board Members.
- By submitting to the Festival, you are allowing us to screen your film at an encore presentation of STXIFF after the main event is over, in case your film is awarded a prize.
- We recommend that you review our “STXIFF Code of Ethics & Conduct” and please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions.
Regional Short Film
SUBMISSIONS NOW OPEN in all CATEGORIES
June 8th, 2018
extended deadline fee for all categories: $30.00 total
STXFF 2018 will only accept digital submissions through withoutabox.com and FilmFreeWay.com. Please follow all submission guidelines for your chosen category. Detailed upload instructions and guidelines can be found on the linked submission pages.
Click the logo's below to view the STXIFF submission pages on whichever website you prefer.
“Withoutabox logos are trademarks of Withoutabox, a DBA of IMDb.com Inc. or its affiliates.”